Project duration: March 1, 2013 to December 31, 2013
The objective of the program is to provide guidance on seedling propagation, nursery management, planting and maintenance alongside partner People’s Organizations (POs) in Mangatarem, Pangasinan.
- Two (2) Memorandum of Agreements signed: contract for original total target of 249,638 seedlings and supplemental agreement for additional of 30,862 high value fruit trees.
- Six (6) partner POs tapped for the seedling propagation through MOA.
- Project orientation with the partner POs done on nursery establishment and propagation of planting materials, nursery site identification, division of target number of seedlings among POs, etc.
- Technical discussions with POs, and guidance on seedling propagation, nursery management, planting and maintenance conducted.
- Six (6) nurseries of native trees established in five sites. A total of 196,629 out of 188,100 forest trees and 65,174 out of 61,538 fruit trees propagated.
- Monitoring of main and satellite nurseries conducted on a weekly basis by Haribon and Local Site Coordinator. With Global Positioning System (GPS) reading, a map of nursery locations was made and submitted to the Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR). Inventory, actual counting and segregation of plantable seedlings done by POs.
- Reports submitted to DENR Region 1 Ecosystems Research and Development Service (ERDS) covering seedling production status report, and National Greening Program (NGP) Progress Report on PO mobilization and participation, counterpart resources and activities provided by Haribon, nursery site location and list of seed production areas (SPAs), project supervision, and issues and concerns.
- Savings generated from the plantation site maintenance contract on the National Greening Program. POs purchased a hand tractor, videoke machine for income, and launched its hog dispersal project. Haribon assisted the partner POs in negotiating contracts with DENR for direct implementation of restoration site establishments, planting and maintenance.