In the past, Haribon has been at the forefront of advocating forest policy issues that have made significant inroads in biodiversity conservation. It has been the forerunner in promoting terrestrial and marine protected areas and has encouraged greater participation of communities in environmental law enforcement. Haribon needs to sustain the gains of the past and accelerate its efforts in promoting environmental conservation and protection as mounting pressure on our natural ecosystems continues unabated.
The goals of the Advocacy Program are the following: develop synergistic approaches to advance focal issues; build a pro-active constituency on biodiversity conservation (BC) from membership and existing and potential partners; ensure availability of resources to sustain its programs and activities; develop tools/methods to mobilize support for Haribon’s advocacies; elevate local policy concerns to national level and bring attention to local constituents the national and global issues.
Co-organized Green Bills March & Festival to fight for the 3 green bills.
- Position papers entitled “A Case of Seeing the Trees but Not the Forests”, and “The Filipino spirit is water-proof. But the Philippines is not.” published.
- Participated in the National Summit on Rio+20; “Discussion on “Strategic Environmental Assessment” organized by the Ateneo School of Government (ASOG); Workshop on Combating Desertification as part of World Celebration on Combating Desertification organized by the Bureau of Soil and Water Management (BSWM).
- Participated in the Leticia Ramos-Shahani Policy Dialogue Series Round Table Discussion on “Establishing Climate Change and Reproductive Health Links”.
- Participated in the Technical Working Group Meeting of the Committee on the Environment and Natural Resources, Senate of the Philippines re Forest Limits Bill.
- Participated in the National Day of Action and Public Dialogue with DENR Sec. Ramon Paje as part of World Environment Day.
- Participated in the Anti-Mining Solidarity Week 17-21 September 2012 with SOS-Yamang Bayan partners.