Donor: Coca – Cola Foundation
Buhay Punlaan is a nursery of native tree species and living laboratory showcasing rainforestation technology. Started in 2009 it addresses the shortage of native seedlings needed in the restoration of rainforests in the Philippines. The 2-hectare nursery has approximately grown 50,000 seedlings comprised of at least 50 tree species like Apitong, White lauan and Hagakhak which have extremely high risk of becoming extinct in the wild. It has hosted several batches of volunteers working at the native tree nursery, helping the seedlings to grow, and learning more about Philippine native trees.
Ways you can help:
- Help Buhay Punlaan with its daily activities. P150/head, 30-50 people.
With a small donation and a group of 30 people minimum (50 max), you and your group can volunteer to help pack seedling bags, collect wildings, and help with tree maintenance! Your P150 per head donation will go directly to Buhay Punlaan’s efforts, and your hands will help continue the cause for rainforestation.
- Adopt-a-seedling. P300 per seedling.
Can’t help on site? Donate P300 from home and you contribute to the cultivation of a single tree, from wilding collection, to packing, and finally to planting.
- Plant your own native tree in your backyard. P20-P50 per seedling.
Buhay Punlaan also enables the public to obtain their own native tree seedlings for a small donation, along with added guidance on its maintenance. Discounts for bulk orders. For an updated listing with donation prices please email email@example.com.
Learn more about how you or your organization can contribute to the rainforestation of the Philippines. Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Data to be posted by 1st quarter 2016.
- Mobilized 1,207 volunteers for nursery activities (soil potting/ bagging, nursery maintenance (weeding, rebagging), mixing of soil mixtures, wildling collection and transplanting).
- Replanted 700+ native trees.
- Collected and transplanted 2,500 wildlings.
- Produced 8,000 soil pots.
- 441 volunteers participated in nursery activities (soil potting/ bagging, nursery maintenance (weeding, rebagging), mixing of soil mixtures, wildling collection and transplanting).
- 4,932 seedlings available for tree planting.
|Trees Species Common Name||2013 Seedling Production|
- Total of 26,057 native tree species produced for planting: 6,459 seeds and 19,598 wildlings from October to December 2012.
- Total of 47,108 seedlings of 42 different native tree species dispatched at Buhay Punlaan Nursery for 2012.
- Donations amounting to Php 93,000 collected from the dispatched seedlings, which will be used for maintenance and improvement of the nursery. Total of 37, 761 native seedlings available in the nursery; 9,672 native seeds of which were sown in the germination area; 21,104 native seedlings in the transplant bed area, and 6, 985 seedlings in the hardening area.
- 264 volunteers signed-up from different institutions and corporations, schools and universities, and civic organizations.
|Trees Species Common Name||2012 Seedling Production||No. of Seedlings Dispatched||Total|
- 6,626 native seedlings supplied to ROAD to 2020 as of July 2012
- 28,287 seedlings of 62 native tree species produced
- 6,336 native seedlings planted in 3.10 hectares in Caliraya watershed
- 13,715 seed bags potted by 150 volunteers from different schools, companies and other civic organizations
- 2 rainforestation trainings conducted, and attended by 28 individuals from people’s organizations, national government agencies, local government units, NGOs, and private individuals.